Wednesday, November 5, 2008

VICTORY

"I'm asking you to believe. Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington. . . I'm asking you to believe in yours."
--President Elect (!) Barack Obama

The following pictures are from the last Ohio rally for Obama (more than 50,000 people). It was really amazing, and we feel privileged, as a family, to have been in a battleground state during the last weeks of the 2008 campaign. The excitement here has been infectious--and living in one of the most diverse states in the US, it has been transfigurative to witness elder African Americans, Americans who lived through Jim Crow laws and some of the most shameful moments of our history, vote and march and talk to their neighbors in this election. Obama's speech at the rally was inspiring and motivating, but even more so was the conversations going on all around us, and the looks on people's faces. I don't know how much of this Gus will remember, but he will know the ever important stories, and he will grow up in an United States that knows what it is to come back from heartbreaking rifts, begin to heal bitter racial histories, care for each other in every stage of our lives, and work for unity, not just talk about it. We're anxious to begin the work ahead of us; I know that all of you join us in that work.





No comments: