Monday, June 22, 2009

Best Tressed

Forgive the trivial nature of this post--a post where I should write about what a loving little guy Gus is, or how funny he is, or how good he's getting at throwing frisbees, or that he counted to eleven yesterday. Instead, this is a post about his hair and his sudden having of it. So long he grew with only a flaming red fuzz while all his peers got multiple haircuts, barrettes, and even ponytails. Then suddenly, it seems, his system has allocated some energy expenditure up top, and I swear, he wakes up in the morning with a new lock sprouting somewhere. His red hair was a surprise to Matt and I, and it has become, with this new growth, a now daily topic of conversation with folks, even strangers, as we explain mutated alleles on the MC1R gene and how genetics work. But to the question, "so when are you getting that first haircut?" I have to say, with my mama heart who watched his sweet scalp for so long "never!"

3 comments:

onesmallsock said...

gusbaby has SO MUCH HAIR now!!! I don't blame you for not wanting to cut it, it is beautiful!

Karen said...

Those are some beautiful tresses, alright! And I agree about leaving it long and free-flowing...it totally suits him. :D

The Hudson-Vadnais' said...

I consider that high praise from you, OSS, as your little guy has such a pretty shock of golden brown, himself!

Karen--plus there is more to paint purple :)