Friday, March 26, 2010
Yellow Submarine and A Red Mullet: Or, Parenting via Inattention and Neglect
OK. So when you have a baby that has no hair for over two years except for bright orange fuzz it's possibly a bit excusable to hold off on that first haircut, and then you sort of notice that he's got the cute wee baby mullet with it's little nape curls, and then, one day, he's running across the playground and there is something flying back from his head in the wind and it's not a scarf. But then, you also have a baby that absolutely.does.not.want a first haircut, or a haircut at all, ever, because he wants his hair "long, on my back, and with the wind through it." He has this discussion, often, and with perfect strangers, often, as red mullets attract a bit of unsolicited commentary. Stay tuned. Also, unrelated (except for a sort of Type B Parenting theme), if you give your son reachable access to a grease pencil and then, you know, focus on doing the dishes for awhile, he may draw a large submarine on your kitchen table. And then there is nothing left to do but label it, photograph for posterity, and ruin a dishrag.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
snort. I think you did the right thing by labeling and photographing that submarine!
and that is some wondrous hair, Gus!
I love the "only one thing to do but label and photograph it for posterity." I had one of those moments this weekend, only it involved baby powder, diaper rash cream, and hand sanitizer. And I actually had that thought: only one thing to do but grab the video camera and start recording this awesome story!
I love little boys.
Post a Comment